Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of Scotland Open Show, 12th April 2014, Kelso
It was a challenging day weather wise, cold at times and very windy which did affect a lot of the dogs, but at least we managed to show outside for the duration. Thank you to all who exhibited under me, I was asked to stand in to judge the show less than 24 hours before and appreciated the support. I had a lovely collection of dogs to go over, and thoroughly enjoyed the day. Thank you to all the exhibitors who accepted my decisions with good sportsmanship. Ridges were all acceptable; with only a couple of offset crowns, temperaments were good which I feel is so important in our breed.
Best in Show - Kirby & Mansfield's CH Shingwidsi Tshelete Silk
Puppy Dog (2)
1. Doughty’s Colkeririn Indali Light of Rubiltra. Light wheathen, masculine boy. Lovely head with good proportions, dark eye giving a kind expression. Well off for bone with good feet and nice straight, parallel forelegs. Good lay of shoulder and return of upper arm, deep chest with infill and elbows close to the body. Well ribbed back and nice underline. Good turn of stifle, hocks well let down. Moved true and well-schooled for such a baby. Handled well. Pleased to award him Best Puppy in Show in good company.
Best Puppy in Show - Doughty's Colkeririn Indali Light of Rubiltra
2. Tredwell & Symond's Shombay Dark Night Rises. Nice red wheaten puppy of 8 months, handsome head, kind expression. Plenty of bone, good feet with well arched toes. Nice lay of shoulder, deep chest and good ribbing, correct tailset. Good turn of stifle with a nice low hock. Movement difficult to assess but he enjoyed himself.
Junior Dog (3)
1. Linton’s Sofala Grand Master. Loved this young male, just out of puppy. Correct liver pigmentation & eye colour, masculine but not overdone. Attractive head with correct planes and earset, has an alert expression. Good reach of neck into well laid back shoulders with good return of upper arm. Deep chest with plenty of heart-room, well boned, straight forelegs with good feet. Elbows close to the body. Good spring of rib, well ribbed back and strong topline. Powerful quarters with a lovely width to his second thigh, good turn of stifle and nice low hocks. Moves accurately with drive and has a long easy gait. He was a little unsettled with the cold wind, but could not deny him his placings. Reserve Best Dog.
2. Doughty’s Colkeririn Indali Light of Rubiltra
3. Morris’ Nyuki Here Comes Henry From Morlingcourt
Post Graduate Dog (3,2)
1. Linton’s Sofala Grand Master
Limit Dog (1)
1. Lowson’s Jengachenga By Design. 4 year old liver who stood alone in this class. Masculine male at the top end of the standard. Nice head and kind expression and good earset. Parallel forelegs with plenty of bone and good feet. Nice length of body, good topline and underline. Good turn of stifle, a little erratic on the move. A happy boy who certainly enjoyed his day.
Open Dog (6,1)
1. Muir’s CH Kiromol it's All About Me at Kikeba JW. 3 year old handsome red wheaten male who I have admired for some time. Not the largest but still masculine and with plenty of bone. Beautiful head and expression, correct earset, kind eye. Good reach of neck into well laid back shoulders, good infill and depth of chest. Strong parallel forelegs with elbows tight to his body. Deep capacious chest, with good ribbing and strong topline which he held on the move. Good turn of stifle, moved very well with reach and drive which put him on top today. Pleased to award him Best Dog & RBIS.
RBIS - Muir's CH Kiromol it's All About Me at Kikeba JW
2. Linton’s Sofala Grand Master
3. Mulligan’s Zougani Zuri ShCM
Veteran D/B (4,1)
1. Darling’s CH Zougani Zawadi ShCM. 9 year old wheaten bitch who is beautifully balanced and has lovely breed type, shown in great condition. Feminine but with plenty of substance and bone. Pretty head, kind dark eye and correct earset. Deep muzzle and correct head proportions. Lovely reach of neck with a good lay of shoulder and return of upper arm. Good width and depth to chest with plenty infill. Strong, parallel forelegs with good feet, elbows close to the body. Liked her length of body and strong topline which she holds on the move. Nice relaxed turn of stifle, hocks well let down. Good croup and tailset. Moves with a long, easy, ground covering stride and is so true coming and going. Pleased to award her Best Veteran in Show.
2. Lowson’s CH Mwenga Hasani for Jengachenga. 8 year old red wheaten male. Handsome and upstanding, correct head planes and proportions, kind dark eye and deep muzzle. Good reach of neck into well laid back shoulders, good return of upper arm. Chest is deep and capacious, elbows tight to his body and good infill. Plenty of bone, straight parallel forelegs. Nice length to his body but struggles to hold his topline standing and on the move. Nicely angulated quarters, good width of thigh. He is a little high in the hock which affects his movement. Best Veteran Dog.
3. Smith’s Zougani Zureta
Best Veteran in Show - Darling's Zougani Zawadi ShCM
Puppy Bitch (5,1)
1. Denver’s Gunthwaites Cool Crazy Lady of Vandengan. 9 month old red wheaten who has lovely breed type. Elegant and feminine, she is sure to have a bright future. Pretty head, long clean neck into good lay of shoulder, and good return of upper arm. Tight elbow, nice bone and strong forelegs with lovely feet. Nice length to her body and strong topline, good croup and tailset. Well angulated rear with low hock. True coming and going, long stride in profile.
2. Emptage’s Nurisha Emeralds Eponine. 8 month old red wheaten with the most beautiful of heads. So feminine, kind dark eye and correct earset and head proportions. Long reach of neck into a well laid back shoulder, good return of upper arm and elbow close to the body. Parallel forelegs, good bone and the best of feet. Nice length of body, scores in ribbing and topline. Strong loin and nicely angulated rear, hocks well let down. Moved well.
3. Imanje Msitu Mashamba
Junior Bitch (3,1)
1. Nicol’s Walamadengie Leahanna. 16 months old wheaten bitch. Pretty head with dark eye and correct earset. Long reach of neck into nice lay of shoulder, good return of upper arm. Elbows close to the body, good bone and feet. Good ribbing and strong topline which she holds on the move. Nice croup and tailset. Ample turn of stifle and nice low hock. True coming but is wide between the hocks when moving away, nice gait in profile. Well handled.
2. Murray’s Mwani Wanjeri. 13 months red wheaten who was unsettled today and reluctant to be gone over. Nice breed type, pretty head with correct proportions and dark eye. Well balanced bitch with good reach of neck, nice lay of shoulder and good return of upper arm. Nice infill to chest which is capacious and deep. Tight elbows and parallel forelegs, nice bone. Good length of body, nice turn of stifle and low hock. Moved well coming, going and in profile, could change places with 1 if she settles.
Post Graduate Bitch (9,1) A lovely class with some difficult decisions.
1. Storey’s Kiromol Kendi JW. 13 months old wheaten who is full of character and life. Beautiful head, kind eye and intelligent expression. Feminine but with substance and plenty of bone. Long reach of neck into strong sloping shoulders, good return of upper arm. Strong parallel forelegs with elbow close to the body, good feet. Good depth of chest, and nicely ribbed back, scores in topline and underline. Strong loin, good croup and tailset. Nicely balanced rear angulation, low hock. Excels on the move with such reach and drive, true coming and going – a real showgirl who has a bright future I’m sure!
2. Bull’s Kamili Closer by the Hour. 21 month old red wheaten bitch, larger than 1 but still very feminine and elegant. Love her breed type. Beautiful head and expression, long crested neck into well laid back shoulders, and good return of upper arm. Tight elbow, good length of body with strong topline which she holds on the move. Nicely angulated quarters with good tailset, turn of stifle and low hock. Long, effortless stride in profile and true fore and aft. Well handled.
3. Hughson’s Ballyriver Hot Caramel for Fahari
Limit Bitch (9,2) Another lovely class.
1. Ferguson’s Sonstraal the Devil's Waltz. Love this 5 year old red wheaten bitch’s breed type. So sound with a beautiful head and kind expression. Correct head planes and earset. Long clean neck into the best of fronts, good lay and return, strong parallel forelegs and plenty of bone. Elbows close to the ribcage, which is deep and capacious, plenty of infill and prosternum at point of shoulder can be viewed in profile. Love her length of body, well ribbed back. Lovely rear angulation with good turn of stifle and low, strong hock. Moved accurately with reach and drive.
2. Smith’s Kiromol Karasi. 13 months old wheaten bitch with the prettiest of heads, litter sister to the winner of the previous class and they share a lot of the same qualities. Alert, dignified expression, so feminine with a kind dark eye and correct earset. Long, elegant crested neck into nicely sloping shoulders. Well off for bone, strong parallel forelegs and elbows close to the body. Deep chest with infill. Clean through the withers and strong topline, which she holds on the move. Nice underline, strong loin and nicely angulated rear, nice low hock. Moved true coming, going and in profile.
3. Hughson’s Ballyriver Hot Caramel for Fahari
Open Bitch (5) A lovely class of quality bitches.
1. Kirby & Mansfield’s CH Shingwidsi Tshelete Silk. Loved this elegant red wheaten bitch of 4 years. Feminine with substance and quality all through. Beautiful head, good length and depth of muzzle and kind, intelligent expression. Correct earset. Long, clean, crested neck into good lay of shoulder, good return of upper arm. Strong, parallel forelegs with fabulous bone and well knuckled feet. Prosternum at point of shoulder giving good length and depth of ribbing, strong loin and good topline. Well angulated rear with good width of thigh and good turn of stifle, hocks well let down. Good croup and tailset. She moves with a long, easy, daisy cutting stride which is so effortless. Shown in beautiful condition, pleased to award her Best Bitch and Best in Show.
2. Maylor’s Kamili Comes and Goes JW. Close up to 1, this light wheaten bitch of 22 months really catches the eye. Beautiful head, kind expression and correct earset. Long elegant neck, flowing into well sloped shoulders. The best of fronts with plenty of bone, strong forelegs and fabulous feet. Good return of upper arm and deep chest, plenty of infill. Elbows close to the body, lovely length of ribbing and strong topline. Strong loin, lovely elegant underline, shown in excellent condition. Good turn of stifle, nice width to thigh and nice low hock. This youngster moves with such accuracy, she is a joy to watch. So effortless, with such reach and drive. Best mover of the day, just needs time to mature into herself, one to watch. Pleased to award her Reserve Best Bitch.
3. Clark-MacLean's CH Druimderg Dancin Wit Fire at Callmn
Judge: Lisa Aitken (Saadani)
Critique & photos added from the 2014 Open show.
New photos in the Gallery from Champ Show 2013 & walks
Check the News page for the latest...